Monday 1 August 2011

Bookcrossing

I've just been onto my bookcrossing page for the first time in a really long time. I no longer really do bookcrossing but I do make a point of making journal entries and release notes on books that other bookcrossers have given me over the years, I feel that it's only fair.

For some reason my bookcrossing account has defaulted to the location where I used to live and all the saved release locations are from there too. It's just made me feel really, really sad to see the locations where Mum and I used to release books when we were on days out. And on so many of my old journal entries it says that Mum had kindly posted books for me. She was so much a part of my bookcrossing.

All the latter journal entries are even sadder. The 'released at the Oncology department fundraising table' note appears on so many books. I wanted to do my bit for the department that was helping my Mum and so I made a point of gathering up a full carrier bag or two of books every time Mum had an appointment there.

Bookcrossing journal entries give away so much about my life, it's really made me feel quite sad reading through them. I think the sadness was why it hurt me so much to carry on bookcrossing after Mum died and why I just couldn't do it anymore, she was so much a part of that hobby of mine.

I miss her such a lot but I love that she is so woven into all those books that have been released. I love that anyone who ever finds one of those books will see that my Mum was a part of all that and that she helped me to continue with my hobby and that she loved it as much as I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment